Carpet based flooring is very commonly used of the various floor types and is preferred more as compared to others. It has been around for quite some time now. In fact, it is one of the easiest floors to take care of and maintain. With easy cleaning techniques and less maintenance costs, keeping the carpet floor clean and tidy is a cake walk.
No carpet is absolutely stain proof or soil proof. Although some carpets come with stain resistant treatments, stains can’t be prevented completely. So is the case with soil resistant treatments. Make the carpet look beautiful with these handy tips.
Vacuum your carpet floor frequently for long term beauty. Walking on the deposited soil particles allows it to walk their way below the surface where they are far more difficult to remove. This can eventually damage the carpet fibers. But frequent vacuuming removes these particles before problems occur.
Invest in a quality vacuum
An inexpensive vacuum may remove the dirt particles off the mere surface but doesn’t penetrate deep. Make it a point to invest in a good vacuum cleaner and make sure it is certified through the Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI).
- Depending on the carpet you have, you may want to use the vacuum with either a rotating brush, a beater bar or suction only.
- Use scissors to cut off sprouts and snags off the surface. Do not pull them off, as this will damage the carpet eventually.
- To remove a dent caused by heavy furniture, stroke the carpet with the edges of the coin. You can also use a hair dryer or a stream iron, to gently raise the dented area. But be absolutely sure that the iron should not touch the carpet.
- Consider professional cleaning every 12-18 months.
- Using a wet vacuum is the best way to effectively remove stains. Use it with a proper suction and vacuum off as much stain as possible, continuing to add water to as you proceed. Further treatment of the affected area should begin immediately. The more time that elapses before treatment, the more difficult a stain will be to remove.
Tips for removing common stains
- In case of a food spill, first scrape the food gently with a spoon or a blunt knife removing as much solid material as possible before moving for further treatment.
- Majority of the stain complaints are soil related. When stains are cleaned with a detergent solution, the area should be rinsed well with sufficient water to make sure no sticky detergent residue remains and make sure to blot dry after removing any spill.
- Place towels or cloth over wet area and weight with a heavy colorfast object to absorb moisture and leave overnight.
Unfortunately some stains can’t be removed as they permanently alter the carpet’s color. For such stains call a professional and claim your warranty.